Pages

July 7, 2011

Query Shark

So you've finished your novel, it's beautifully polished and you've written the best query letter that has ever existed.  Are you sure?  Query Shark might have something to say about that.  With her constructive criticism, unparalleled wit and honest intentions to help querying authors, Query Shark is an invaluable resource for writers who are beginning this scary process.

If you read through (every single post on the blog, as noted by the Shark), you may begin to realize that your first attempt is not your best. Neither is your second nor your third.  Have you written your query in first person? Do you use rhetorical questions?  Are you addressing the agent as 'Dear Person I'm Pretending to Know Very Well, but Really Don't Know At All' or 'Dear Agent.'?  If you find yourself nodding your head, then please close this blog now and head over to Query Shark and have a look at the lucky folks who have had their queries posted from the chum bucket. 

I've written my query letter four different times and I'm still not satisfied with it.  Reading Query Shark has helped me prune away my unfailing ability to ramble, showcase the wrong aspects of my novel and telling instead of showing. With each new blog post, I learn something new from the Shark.  We believe you will, too! 

No comments:

Post a Comment